Friday 19 July 2013

The Grape of Wrath

Shopping in Tesco’s this morning, I did not see an almost-invisible squashed green grape on the floor in front of me. For a split second I thought ‘Interesting, I’m floating in air - look there are my shoes rising up level with my head - now going higher!’ Then there was a crash as I hit the floor, my left elbow and wrist cushioning the fall. Worried shoppers and staff crowded round and my embarrassment increased exponentially. I managed to lever myself to my feet and shuffled off with a sheepish grin to seek peace among the chill cabinets.

Now my left wrist is painful and swollen. For a millisecond, thoughts of claiming a king’s ransom in damages troubled me, but I managed to banish them. More worrying is the status of my plan to drive plane-mad younger son to the Royal International Air Tattoo tomorrow, a three hour journey. We’ll see.
Last night was the Sacred Heart Church catechists’ meeting; groups from FHC (First Holy Communion), Confirmation, RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) and Baptism (me, the missus and Fr K). Despite both doors to the Parish Room being open, the air inside was hot and still, and glances were furtively cast at the drinks and snacks on a side table. It wasn’t an official celebration, it was mostly a work session, but there was pride and pleasure in exchanging experiences.

For me, baptism is special; the last words of Our Lord before He ascended, as recorded by Saint Matthew (28:19-20) are ‘Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.’  A catechists' charter.
We are privileged to participate in this Great Commission and it’s often humbling and moving to witness the faith of others. There’s hardly anything stronger in the world than a mother wanting the very best for her infant, surrendering the child in love to God’s protection and influence, trusting that baptism will open a doorway that will lead through him or her safely through this world and into the next.

In Sacred Heart, the varied national origins of the parents is also striking. I haven’t kept a record but in the last few months we’ve seen Poles, Albanians, Brazilians, Mexicans, French, Latvians and others, as well as locals. We’ve even said the Our Father in Polish and Albanian during the baptism service. This is a catholic and universal church with both a large and a small ‘c’- Deo Gratias!      

No comments:

Post a Comment